i am an unrequited astronomer, pretend patient, gentle adventurer, pedal enthusiast, recovering calligrapher, occasional thespian and unfinished poet living in portland, oregon. contacting me via email is usually a good idea.
* i began volunteering at planned parenthood last week. "it's been so long since we've had a volunteer!" they said, which really made me sad, because i'll bet pro-control organizations aren't having the same problem.
* last thursday todd, kristen, sven & i went to see the female odd couple, which i found shrill and emotionally binary: they were frantic or they were not, and there was nothing in between. btw, i was in this play in college...
click the image for a larger version and scroll to the right to see the whole strip. yep, that's me in the apron and the long hair. :)
* todd, sven & i went to the found reading at powell's on wednesday, and they sang one of my favorite songs, "the booty don't stop" (which they do way better live than recorded).
* mph, alex, sven & i went to see superman returns on wednesday. i thought it was pretty good: much better than xmen 3. a lot less eye-rolling and gritting of teeth than i would have expected. there is obvious reverence for the mythos and everyone is trying very earnestly to make the spirit of christopher reeve proud.
* the portland art museum was free yesterday, so i popped down there with sven for a bit, because the last time it was free we didn't leave ourselves enough time to see the upper two floors of the contemporary wing.
* then sven & i went to a reading of kristian willams' book american methods, which details the history of miltary torture and prison abuse. (sven helped edit this book.) afterwards, kristian did something i've never seen an author do: "so my first four questions have been asked by men. are there any women who want to ask questions?" calling the gender discrepency like that was both astute and compassionate. and sure enough, once called out, yes, several women did want to ask questions. go, kristian!