i am an unrequited astronomer, pretend patient, gentle adventurer, pedal enthusiast, recovering calligrapher, occasional thespian and unfinished poet living in portland, oregon. contacting me via email is usually a good idea.
9:35 AM: any sufficiently advanced art is indistinguishable from poetry
a gigantic catchup post for september & october (now w/ more pictures!):
* first, this is how i've been feeling lately. (the song, mostly, not the video. i don't get the horse at all):
(Santogold - L.E.S. Artistes. "i can say i hope it will be worth what i give up//if i can stand up mean for all the things i believe")
* art: susan collard's exhibit at 23 sandy, 100th monkey, built, old spaghetti factory, 10 tiny dances (though there were only 8, but i got to finally see taiko!), taught creative business basics (still too long), birth play that jalex helped organize, white bird dance performance with shaolin monks, a weekly writing class at zenger farms, portland art open at milepost 5. also, i closed my artist's way email support group (the "sacred circle"). then i revived it because people wanted a place to check in, but i'm no longer facilitating it.
* travel: hooping in kenilworth park, biking (though rose ate my good pants!), walking about in ladd's addition, lents farmer's market, mt scott park. also, we went to the steen mountains to watch the full moon rise over the alvord desert, but that really deserves its own post.
* eating: tart, old spaghetti factory, arleta library bakery & cafe, ten 01 (wow!), pho van
other events: * talk like a pirate day w/ kristen, todd & michaelmas. we ate food from salvador molly's & todd's homemade tamales while watching pirates of the carribean 2. we also hosted the fearsome one-eyed toby and his first mate, peg leg greg. they terrorized & scandalized the guests with their raucous songs and fierce appetites. a good time was had by all!
[toby & gregory as pirates]
* equinox walk on powell butte. the ankle i twisted in august meant i wasn't able to climb my favorite tree, but i really adore the apple orchard up there. a spot i used to go is now oddly covered with strange, tall weeds.
[a cairn sven & i built]
[my favorite spot on powell butte]
[hugging my favorite climbing tree]
* sven, michael, philip, teena, bill & i all attended the lovecraft film festival (at differing times). it is, as they say, the only festival that understands. it turns out chile-covered mango slices are good for keeping one awake during a boring movie, or just during a weekend fueled with sugar & popcorn.
[the only festival that understands]
* a big announcement from someone i didn't expect to hear from again. still deciding how to respond.
* i'm volunteering three days a week for planned parenthood during election season. in addition to patient advocacy, i'm going into the admin office to do data entry from their outreach events. if you get called, it's probably my fault. sorry!