i am an unrequited astronomer, pretend patient, gentle adventurer, pedal enthusiast, recovering calligrapher, occasional thespian and unfinished poet living in portland, oregon. contacting me via email is usually a good idea.
11:40 PM: sunday's child is ready for bed
* we hosted thanksgiving with the always delightful hall family & cecilia. carl was sick on thanksgiving, unfortunately. but we cooked a mighty fine vegetarian feast w/ homemade spiced almonds, quorn roast, sven’s cranberry sauce, the best and fluffiest savoury biscuits, gravy (tofurkey & brown gravy), mashed potatoes, stuffing bought at new seasons, green beans almondine (i was very pleased with how this turned out), sven's pumpkin pie, mph’s pecan pie, alison’s salad, cecilia’s tofu olive dip & veggies, homemade whipping cream, sparkling apple cider, and reisling wine.
[the thanksgiving placecards i created]
* sven hung a painting i bought at open studios, concluding that event. then sven & i attended the "little things" show at guardino gallery because we knew so many people in it. i bought a prayer flag (a prayer for an inspiring future). i went to handmade nw and contributed to the local economy: it was a pretty space in the world trade center plaza, but after a while it got a little cold. sven & i also went to "i love this town!," a show at city hall by an an artist we know. there was a simultaneous & enticing print show, where we saw jason, someone michaelmas & i hung out with several years ago.
["a prayer for an inspiring future" by jennifer mercede]
* sven & i watched "monkeybone," and audrey tatou's "he loves me, he loves me not." eh. michaelmas & i are going to see "australia" when it reaches the mcmenamin's pubs (ideally, the mission theatre).
* i got paid to be a "standardized patient" at ohsu: you are assigned a case & diagnosis and the doctors interact with you to develop their clinical skills. i loved it! i often say i'm not good at improv, but i realized that's not always true: in a situation where you are all trying to create the illusion of a shared reality, i'm great at improv. that's why i enjoy certain rpgs, role play events like the go game and things like this. (what i don't like is anything that requires me to be quick-witted or improv situations that are much more defensive in nature, like most improv comedy.)
* sven & i saw jesus christ superstar w/ ted neeley and it was HORRIBLE. we complained all through intermission & all the way home and all the way on a walk afterwards. the singing was awful, the movements were sloppy and the direction was gauche. i compared it to watching TBN's "holy land experience" in florida. ted neeley made jesus -creepy-. i saw a high-school summer production of JCS in pueblo that was so much better than this. ugh.
* we ate a pretty good meal at south park, which was only marred by a bland dessert.
* 'tis the season for holiday parties, and ours began with an annual curry party hosted in the west hills. it's the same place the "create the world day" event is held. one woman told me that i changed her life: she attended a collage night and makes one every day now. it's not often you get to hear something so dramatic or sincere!