i am an unrequited astronomer, pretend patient, gentle adventurer, pedal enthusiast, recovering calligrapher, occasional thespian and unfinished poet living in portland, oregon. contacting me via email is usually a good idea.
5:35 PM: inside and out
* another baby report: jalex had a baby boy apr13! we stopped by today to visit. the naming ceremony is saturday.
* april is the month to start biking again! on one of the first beautiful days (i saw a sundog!), i biked down the springwater corridor trail and thought i was really out of shape because it seemed like i was going so slow. on my way back i passed someone on a bench who called out "you're back tire's flat, ma'am!" and so it was. i walked her home and took her to the bike gallery the next day -- but when i got her back, she was missing two gears! so i returned her to the bike gallery and they got it right the second time. despite the chainguard, rose caught another pair on my pants on the chain, so I'm going to have to start tucking my right pant leg into my sock. in warmer weather, i can go back to wearing just skirts! on my way home from the trillium board meeting, i got caught in the rain: i discovered my raincoat is only semi-rainproof. :)
* ohsu's osce was a blast! i cried when one doctor insisted on putting me in a position that "hurt" me, and another doctor surprised me by asking me detailed questions about my sex life that i had to create answers to on the spot. but overall i had a great time. it's fun to see the various ranges and styles of doctors-to-be and makes me feel good to be contributing to the next generation.
* i attended another opsfest playgroup. it's a neat format where mistakes are funny, not frowned on. i do angry shakespeare really well, but soliloquies need some work. i'll know more about what performances i'll be involved with at the end of the month.
* hooping class is going well: we were hooping blindfolded and learned elbow hooping! (not at the same time)
* michaelmas turned 47 last week. he spent it quietly at home watching the dr. who easter special. on tuesday i took him out to dinner, and afterwards we had an ice cream cone and watched the maltese falcon.
* mph had a birthday, too. i dropped off the birthday card sven made for him, and he showed me his kindle (much nicer than i would have guessed from the pictures). ben gave me a tootsie roll pop & a bracelet. :)
* sven & i watched "the invasion," the best part of which was that it didn't contain a monster that roars before it attacks you (this is one of my least favorite scifi movie tropes).
* we like to celebrate easter even though we're not religious. i like dying and hiding eggs and we eat egg salad and shepherd's pie. but this year we realized it sure is a lot of cooking for a holiday we don’t really celebrate! :)
* we helped mph's family move to their new house in lents. i brought a yoyo, hoops, bubbles, kite and a soccer ball to distract ben during the move but we played "rescue ben & verl before they fall off futon mountain" and "zombie blueberry" instead. afterwards, mph took us all to izzie's.
* trixie got a flat tire on the way to help mph move, though, so i changed my tire on the freeway by myself! a woman stopped who wanted me to wait for someone to help, and then a man stopped to divert traffic around my head. thanks, linda & mark!
* my taxes are finally done. thanks to the stimulus package, my tax person waved her hands and amended a previous tax return to get me some money back. bless her!